UAE announces signing a $190 million contract with SABB to support GlobalEye

Swedish defense and security company Saab has inked a contract worth approximately $190 million with the United Arab Emirates Ministry of Defense for the in-service support of the GlobalEye Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) solution.

Read also: UAE warns of fog alerts and a temperature drop to 7ºC

The three-year contract will remain in effect until 2026 and encompasses maintenance, logistics support, and training services. GlobalEye is an advanced multi-domain AEW&C solution equipped with active and passive sensors, providing long-range detection and identification capabilities for objects in the air, at sea, and over land.

A number of sensors are part of GlobalEye's AEW&C suite. These include the electrooptical sensor, maritime surveillance radar, ESM/ELINT, AIS, and Erieye ER (Extended Range) radar. This comprehensive package makes it possible to detect and identify threats in all three domains.

By seamlessly transitioning between different regions of surveillance, GlobalEye is able to cover extensive distances quickly and accurately, whether they are on land, at sea, or in the air. The Bombardier Global 6000/6500 aircraft, which serve as the platform for GlobalEye, provide over 11 hours of operating endurance.

In November 2015, the United Arab Emirates became the first client to purchase a GlobalEye system, which is known as the Swing Role Surveillance System (SRSS). "This agreement solidifies Saab’s role in ensuring that GlobalEye remains mission-ready," Carl-Johan Bergholm, head of Saab’s business unit surveillance, said enthusiastically of the pact. We are excited to continue serving the UAE Air Force and Air Defense in a long-term capacity and to deepen our collaboration with them.

The UAE has been a significant market for Saab, leading to the creation of Saab Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary in Abu Dhabi, in 2018. Situated in the Tawazun Industrial Park (TIP), the facility serves as a hub for the development and production of various defense and security products. Additionally, Saab has a joint venture in the country, Saab Middle East LLC, in collaboration with Gulf Air Space Co. LLC (GACO), where GACO owns 51% and Saab holds the remaining 49% stake.

Follow Us on Follow Alkhbr News at Google News